Post Graduation in Cardiology in Germany: Cardiology is considered one among the easiest to get into, compared to other branches of medical post graduation in Germany. Here we are elaborating the course structure of PG in Cardiology in Germany. Along with this, you can specialize in Cardiac Electrophysiology, Interventional Cardiology etc. Course structure: Cardiology
Total duration 72 months of which,
36 months in Internal Medicine
36 months in Cardiology,
of which 6 months in Intensive Station
to a max of 18 months in OP Department.
Some special areas of your training involve, the detection and treatment of congenital and acquired diseases of the heart, circulatory system, cardiac vessels and pericardium (pericardium),
- the counselling and guidance of cardiovascular patients in rehabilitation and the socio-medical assessment of their occupational resilience,
- the intensive medical basic care,
- ultrasound examination of the heart (e.g. echocardiography, stress echocardiography, Doppler and duplex echocardiography, transoesophageal echocardiography),
- the diagnostic left and right heart catheter examinations u. a. with coronary angiography,
- therapeutic coronary interventions (e.g. PTCA, stent implantation, atherectomy, rot-ablation, brachytherapy),
- Electrocardiograms (ECG)
- the drug, apparatus and interventional antiarrhythmic therapy including defibrillation and ablation,
- the pacemaker therapy and aftercare,
- the indication and follow-up of implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) and
- together with other disciplines the interdisciplinary indication and assessment of nuclear medical examinations and surgical treatment procedures.
Defined examination and treatment procedures:
- Echocardiography including stress echocardiography and echo contrast examination as well as Doppler / Duplex sub-examination of cardiac veins.
- transesophageal echocardiography
- right ventricular catheter examinations, if any, including exercise
- left ventricular catheter examinations including associated left ventricular angiocardiography and coronary angiography
- long-term follow-up procedures, e.g. ST Segment Analysis, Heart Rate Variability, Late Potentials
- Pacemaker Probe Application
- Pacemaker Controls
- Internal Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) Controls
Advantages of PGDCC /MD/DNB Medicine You can apply to the Medical Council for the recognition the period you have done PGDCC and you may benefit from 1-2 Years (PGDCC) or 2-3 years (MD/DNB) reduction from the total 7 years in Cardiology.
This course structure has been copied from Weiterbildungsordnung für die Ärzte Bayerns vom 24. April 2004 – in der Fassung der Beschlüsse vom 21. Oktober 2017 Bayerische Landesärztekammer. Information ohne Gewähr. Translation is provided for information purposes only. The original information you can find at www.blaek.de/